Books by Alexandra Levit
Imagine what your life would be like if your mother was the CEO of a global company. She could provide the type advice that would propel your career and help you overcome the many stumbling blocks that keep people from fulfilling their full potential at work. That's the idea behind Mom.B.A. Essential Business Advice from One Generation to the Next by Karyn Schoenbart, CEO of The NPD Group, and a highly acclaimed business leader.
Mom.B.A. is an insider's guide to career success, based on Schoenbart's lessons to her daughter Danielle, now an established businesswoman in her own right. Even if you don't have a CEO for a mom, Karyn's lessons on everything from effective first impressions and workplace politics to relationship development, skill building, and priority-setting will take you further than you ever thought possible.
Mom.B.A. is divided into the following information-packed chapters:
- First Impressions: Make Sure They Want to See You Again
- Networking and Relationships: Build a Foundation
- Surviving Your Boss: We All Have to Report to Someone
- Managing and Motivating Others: Step Away from the Desk
- Dealing with Difficult Situations: When the Going Gets Tough, Get Smart
- Skilling Up: Learning What You Need to Succeed
- Global Expertise: More Than Stamps on a Passport
- Leadership: Inspiring Others to Follow You
- The Career Journey: Where to Next?
- The Balancing Act: What It Means To Have It All
They Don't Teach Corporate in College, 3rd Edition: A Twenty-Something's Guide to the Business World (Anniversary)Available in: Paperback
Deadly Outbreaks: How Medical Detectives Save Lives Threatened by Killer Pandemics, Exotic Viruses, and Drug-Resistant ParasitesAvailable in: Hardcover
"Deadly Outbreaks" recounts the scientific adventures of a special group of intrepid individuals who investigate these outbreaks around the world and figure out how to stop them. Part homicide detective, part physician, these medical investigators must view the problem from every angle, exhausting every possible source of contamination. Any data gathered in the field must be stripped of human sorrows and carefully analyzed into hard statistics.
Author Dr. Alexandra Levitt is an expert on emerging diseases and other public health threats. Here she shares insider accounts she's collected that go behind the alarming headlines we've seen in the media: mysterious food poisonings, unexplained deaths at a children's hospital, a strange neurologic disease afflicting slaughterhouse workers, flocks of birds dropping dead out of the sky, and drug-resistant malaria running rampant in a refugee camp. Meet the resourceful investigators--doctors, veterinarians, and research scientists--and discover the truth behind these cases and more.
- research careers that best reflect your new direction
- stand out in this competitive job market
- market yourself to a particular (most ideal) position
- create a financial plan to maintain income during your transition
- use the power of networking to put you exactly where you want to be
Complete with compelling personal stories, helpful questionnaires, and savvy, down-to-earth advice, New Job, New You gives you the resources you need to turn your wildest pipe dream into a solid reality and obtain the rewarding, invigorating career that you deserve.
- Unorthodox but proven job-hunting techniques.
- Making a memorable first impression.
- Navigating the company's social scene.
- Practicing cringe-free networking.
- Mastering goal-setting and self-promotion.
- Stretching the eight plus hours a day spent at work, from effective time management and organization to making every piece of communication count.
- Combating negativity.
- Coping with difficult personalities.
- Troubleshooting the performance review process and anti-promotion situations.
- Learning to be an effective boss.
- Finding a new position and gracefully exiting from the old.